Job Summary: The purchasing agent is responsible for procurement of materials necessary for fabrication of vessels, shop consumables and other items necessary for plant operations. The purchasing agent works with all departments to coordinate materials and supplies according to the fabrication schedule and department operations.
- Adheres to purchasing policies, processes and procedures.
- Understands and coordinates the purchasing role to align with established warehouse and inventory control processes and accounts payable processes.
- Receives job drawings, checks the BOM for accuracy and ensures BOM matches drawings, including but not limited to material grades, sizing, pipe schedule, RFWN, fittings, etc.
- Reviews inventory for currently available items before placing purchase orders.
- Timely and accurately prepares and issues purchase orders with correct dock date, correct job #, and correct GL coding.
- Negotiates best vendor terms, pricing and delivery based on specific budget and schedule requirements.
- Checks purchase requisitions for appropriate approvals and account numbers.
- Works closely with shipping and receiving for scheduled dock dates.
- Prioritizes long lead items and major materials to coordinate with fabrication start dates.
- Resolves missed dock dates with vendors.
- Coordinates sub-contract services such as offsite coating and component fabrication including pricing, schedule service dates, and delivery dates.
- Communicate ideas for improving company processes with a positive and constructive attitude, and for developing this attitude in others.
- Attends and contributes to scheduled project meetings.
- Displays professionalism while interfacing with vendors and customers.
- All other tasks as assigned.
skills and qualifications:
- Working knowledge of MS Word & Excel and basic computer skills.
- Understands chart of accounts basics and GL coding.
- Ability to read and interpret fabrication drawings and bill of materials.
- Effective communication with excellent organizational skills.
- Strong multi-tasking skills and ability to assist coordination in multiple departments.
- Attention to Detail and Accuracy is required.
- Experience in ASME fabrication environment.
- Knowledge of ASME codes essential to materials procurement.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in a team-based environment.
- Exhibit a customer focused attitude to the team members and the rest of the organization.
- A minimum of High School Education (or GED equivalent).
Candidates must have the ability to lift 20 lbs.; Work in a high pace manufacturing environment; Have the ability to multi-task by sharing work space with interruptions from others. At times the work may extend beyond scheduled hours to meet a deadline.