Job Title: Design Checker
The primary role of a Design checker is to check and insure accuracy of the fabrication drawings for primarily pressure vessels but to include minor structural steel, piping and P&ID’s. Review project specifications to assure compliance as well as ASME code requirements. The checker is responsible for the issuance of project drawings to the customer for approval and to the shop for fabrication and to maintain organization of the drawings in Vault.
- Capable of utilizing inventor and AutoCAD software for checking purposes.
- Perform checking for pressure vessels, structural steel and piping.
- Checking must be accomplished in a timely manner.
- Mentor the drafters with lesser experience.
- Support the project from receipt of order, fabrication and shipment.
- Capable of overseeing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Participate in design review in house and with customer.
- Continuously seek ways to improve the Design process and communications.
- Always consider and encourage safety in the work place as well as safety in design as a top priority.
Skills and Qualifications:
Must have a high school diploma and extended education in drafting design and 3D software a plus.
The checker must have the ability to utilize AutoCAD and Inventor for the purpose of checking. Skilled at checking complete sets of complex designs which include structural designs, mechanical designs, ASME coded vessels, and piping designs. The design checker must have the ability to review and understand customer specifications and applicable codes.
Must have experience with ASME Section VIII DIV.1/2, AISC, SID. Must have proven experience supporting a fabrication shop with accurate details and bill of materials for constructability.
Have a strong understanding of welding symbols and application. Have the ability to understand and use Compress calculations for the purpose of checking. Read and write English, communicating effectively with team members.
Must always demonstrate and follow safety guidelines. Work as a team player working with and supporting other team members in and outside of the immediate department.